Are Your Wax & Wicks Making You Sick?

After Reading This Report You Will Never Look At Your Candles The Same Again! 

How often have we been comfortable using a product for years just to find out later, from a new study or research that by continuing or using this product now comes with a health risk that you were unaware of?

It would have been nice if someone would have told us earlier so we had the opportunity to make these changes sooner, especially when it comes to our health and well-being.

Over the years we have become more and more aware of how “important” information has been held back from us, on purpose, only so the brands we trust can profit from our  ignorance.

After suffering from a variety of health issues, including asthma and servers allergies in 2013 I discovered some alarming and very concerning information about the store bought candles I had been purchasing for years.  These candles were advertised as “”high end” luxury items  with decorative packaging, elegant designs and enticing scents that justified their $100 price tag.

Unknown to me, these luxury candles were the cause  of my severe health issues as I soon learned  that the mixed wax ingredients I was burning included recycled petroleum that contained  high levels of lead, harmful chemicals and toxins.6

Why would candle companies do this?  I learned that it is more cost-efficient for candles companies in Australia and around the globe to source their ingredients, including wax,  from China or India. This wax has many contaminants including recycled animal fat and dangerous amounts of lead.  Unfortunately, although these businesses may be prosper financially they are doing it at the expense of their customers.

These businesses benefit by hiding this important information and  continue to engage in these unethical practices until consumers start asking questions and dig deeper on how their products might be causing severe health risks  they are unaware of.

As candle lovers, we frequently burn candles in our homes, so we need to ask “what risks are we exposing to ourselves, our family? “Our children? And the health of our pets?

Traditionally we use candles to create an atmosphere of intimacy, relaxation and serenity , so it is hard to believe that we might be putting ourselves at risk by engaging in self care practices.

Attention Candle Lovers! Did You Know This About Candles?

Professor of Environmental Health Sciences at the University of Michigan, Jerome Nriagu, PhD, DSc discovered alarming insights in his studies of lead emissions from 15 different candle brands in the United States. His research asked the question “How much of this toxic lead remains in the air in an enclosed space? And how dangerous can it be?”

The area measured in his studies were 12 x 12 x 10 feet. Consider the size of a small bathroom. He examined the concentrations levels after 1 hour of burn time and then again after five hours. What he discovered that day was quite alarming. The Nriagu study exposed that the Lead levels after burning a candle (with lead wicks only)  for 1 hour,  in an enclosed space, were estimated to range from 0.04 – 13.1 micrograms per cubic meter.  After 5 hours it ranged from an estimated 0.21 – 65.3 micrograms per cubic meter. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommendation is 1.5 micrograms per cubic meter so his findings showed a 43 x higher lead level than the allowable limit according to the EPA.

During his research he also learned that the lead-core wick production, used in these candles were voluntary controlled by the companies themselves,  with absolutely no safety regulations in place.

As a result the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) finally banned lead-cored wicks after they determined that the use of them present a lead-pollution hazard especially to young children, babies, and pregnant woman; or people with weak immune systems.

Unfortunately it took 30 years for the ban to go into effect.

Australian studies led to similar conclusions. That’s why the Australian Product Safety Commission banned candles with more than 0.06% of lead because their use can cause lead poisoning.

This is just another example how important it is to increase the level of awareness regarding the things we buy and use.

Did you know about the lead wicks?  What do you think about it? Please let me know.

By Jim Villamor

With Integrity Australia Candles

www.wiacandles.com

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *